Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yes protests also happen in California - lots of them

I thought I left all the rolling strike and protest action behind when I left South Africa in September, but I arrived in California to protests almost every few weeks on campus about a whopping 30% increase in student fees. Basically the state budget is in a serious crisis and UC which is a public school has to pass the buck on to the students. The only difference in South Africa is that people actually dance when they strike and protest - here they just stand around with boards and listen to speeches. I listened to one speech by a woman professor who was organizing a teach-in and she mentioned that she had done this in the 80's to protest against Apartheid. Remember the US and Great Britain were the last to impose sanctions on South Africa becuase Thatcher and Reagon liked the fact that we were fighting communism.


No comments:

Post a Comment